Hi friends, hope all is good at your end! happy Friday!!
This is the second and last part of ‘Mindful Eating’ series. Mindful eating can also be called meditation with food, and rightly so. It’s not very complicated and far, far easier than actual meditation. And definitely, more delicious for one! Do read the part one here, in case you missed it.
I too have binge-eaten a lot in past. If I was eating a packet of cookies, I’ll finish most of the packet in one go. If I liked something, I ate multiple servings of it. It was for the taste and probably the addiction to sugar. I had a sweet-tooth and sweets, desserts, cookies, ice-cream, thandai, flavoured milks and other baked delicacies were my weakness.
It happened automatically to me but thankfully, I noticed the changes. With house in chaos always, with two little ones running and fighting and the Other Half fond of running TV debates on high volume, I eventually resorted to eating in my kitchen, for some quiet time ?
It helped – eating in peace, I mean. I paid attention to my food.
Mindful eating is definitely achievable and is way better than any fad-diets which are never sustainable, in longer run. What makes mindful eating even better is the fact that it coordinates mind and body, just like a good meditation session.
Mindful eating is eating with awareness so that we understand what our body is craving at a point of time and to eat accordingly. To understand when to stop eating and to realize what really satisfies us when it comes to food. And to truly enjoy each bite of our food.
- Eating in quiet, peaceful surroundings, without external distractions
- Eating slowly
- Understanding body’s hunger cues – knowing when to eat and when to stop eating
- To dissociate food with anxiety and moods
- Thoroughly enjoying each bite and to feel various texture, smells and flovours
- Knowing what we eat is how we feel
- Being grateful for the food and the health it brings
- Once you start practicing mindful eating, you start understanding your body better and once you understand your body better, you start understanding the value of nutrition
- You get a better control on your eating habits
- And this in turn, not just provide assistance in weigh issues, eating disorders etc but also makes you feel better
It is not about a diet or even diet-control. This one is all about eating and the pleasure of it, in our bodies and mind! To see which foods make us happy and healthier, both! At times, we all overeat and then feel like crap, bloated and unhappy for a long while…wishing we never ate that junk or at least ate in control, don’t we?
To realize that itself, is one level achieved. To realize what we eat affects our feelings and our moods, is a lot of progress already.
What could be better than being able to manage weight issues and eating disorders, WITH eating? We just learn to listen to what our body is telling us and eat. The main thing here is to listen. Not easy but not hard either.
Did you like today’s post? Share with your family and friends. Do join me on Instagram for regular stories, nutritional tips and a healthy dose of motivation to keep you on track.
Till next Friday
Namaste, Health and Peace